If you are or if you live with someone who is gluten or grain free you get used to adapting recipes in order to be able to offer tasty treats despite the alternative ingredients.
Here is a quick and easy recipe for making gluten/grain free scones which are great warm with butter or go up market with clotted cream and jam!
If you fancy something a bit different try leaving out the vanilla and mix in some grated cheese for a savoury snack.
- 650g rice flour
- 60g cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 120g cold butter
- 2 large eggs
- 70ml cold milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or baking paper.
- Put all the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
- Rub the butter into the mix using your hands to create a breadcrumb texture.
- In a separate bowl or jug mix the eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, bring the mix together to make a wet dough.
- Form scone shapes either by hand or by using cutters and place onto the baking sheet. Let the scones rest for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the scones with sugar and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.